Is Lap Band Right For You?
Lap band surgery has helped thousands of people lose weight and and achieve better health. But no weight loss solution is right for everyone. How do you know if lap band is right for you?
Lap band surgery might be right for you if:
- Your have a body mass index of at least 40 OR you have a BMI of at least 30 with at least one obesity-related medical condition.
- You have been overweight for more than 5 years.
- You’ve struggled to lose weight with other methods, including diet and exercise.
- You’ve struggled to achieve long-term weight loss.
- You are ready to make significant lifestyle changes before and after surgery.
Your doctor will conduct a thorough physical exam and review your history to help determine if you are a good candidate for lap band surgery. You will also undergo a psychological evaluation, and you may be required to meet with a nutritionist before scheduling a date for surgery.
In some cases, your doctor may decide that lap band surgery is not the best choice for you. Lap band surgery may not be right for you if:
- You have an inflammatory disease or existing problems with your gastrointestinal tract.
- You have severe heart or lung disease.
- Your esophagus, stomach, or intestine is not normal.
- You are addicted to alcohol or drugs.
In addition to the physical requirements of lap band surgery, there are other factors to consider before choosing this weight loss surgery. When considering lap band surgery, ask yourself:
- Are you ready and able to make long-term changes to your diet and exercise habits?
- Are you willing to make short-term changes to prepare for surgery, including going on a liquid diet in the days leading up to surgery?
- Are you prepared to invest the time in attending informational meetings and appointments with your surgeon and other medical professionals?
- Are you committed to attending follow-up appointments with Dr. Choi after surgery to have adjustments made to your band?
- Do you have a support system in place, or are you willing to seek out the support of a group of other professional, to help you cope with the many changes of weight loss?
- Are you able and willing to meet the financial requirements of lap band surgery?
If you decide that you are ready to make a commitment to change, lap band surgery can be a powerful tool to help you achieve a healthier weight.
Attending a free patient education seminar can help you answer these questions and others you may have about lap band surgery.Schedule Your Program Consultation Today